National Medical University

О.О. Bogomolets

History of the University

1840
His Highness Emperor Mykola I, signed the Highest Rescript about opening the medical Course at St. Volodymyr University (29.04 in the old style).


1841
Council of St. Volodymyr University approved the decision about opening the 1st medical Course in September 1841. First admission – 29 students. On 23 September, professor M.I. Kozlov read the first lecture on anatomy, and on 26 September, professor V.O. Karavayev – first lecture on encyclopedia and methodology of medicine.


1842
As of the new charter in 1842,the activity of the medical faulty was brought into existence, according to which the teaching of extra subjects was organizationally executed, the department of state medicine studies was established.


1843
Professor V.O. Karavayev became the first dean at medical Course at St. Volodymyr University.


1853
Opening of anatomical theater at medical Course


1881
The student’s scientific society “Clinical society of students-doctors” was organized. The organizer of the society was A. Kysil, who later became a famous pediatrician and a public leader.


1885
The surgical and therapeutic clinics were constructed.


1888
The obstetric clinic was constructed.


1920
Kiev Institute of Health Care, which united the medical Course of St. Volodymyr University, Women’s Medical Institute, medical Course of Ukrainian state university, was established. The Odontologic university, later transformed into the Course with the same name, was included into it in October 1920.


1921
Kiev Institute of Health Care was renamed into Kiev State Medical Academy, which later became Kiev medical institute


1930
the newspaper “Red doctors, which in 1936 was renamed into “Medical cadres”, was established.


1941
when the Great Patriotic War started the institute was evacuated to c. Kharkiv and later to Chelyabinsk.


1943
KMI renewed the classes in Kiev


1946
Kiev Medical Institute was given with the name of the President of Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR O.O. Bogomolets.


1965
The historical museum of medicine was organized on the basis of the institute (since 1982 – National museum of medicine of Ukraine).


1992
The institute was reorganized into Ukrainian O.O. Bogomolets state medical university.


1995
By the Decree from the President of Ukraine the university received the status of O.O. Bogomolets National medical university.


2003
Professor V.F. Moskalenko was elected to the post of the rector by the conference of representatives of labor collective on democratic principles for the first time in the activity of educational establishment, at that time he was the corresponding member of AMS of Ukraine, doctor of medicine, honorary doctor of Ukraine, Minister of health care of Ukraine (2000-2002); now – academician of NAMS and corresponding member of NAPS of Ukraine, vice-president of NAMS of Ukraine, honorary worker of science and technology of Ukraine, member of WHO’s Committees, head at department of social medicine and health care, chief extraordinary specialist at MHC of Ukraine on organization and management of health care


2004
The symbolism of the University – Emblem, Anthem and Flag – were established and approved for the first time in the history of the establishment
Reorganization of dentistry polyclinic of MHC of Ukraine at NMU into Dentistry medical center of University
The University was appointed as the base establishment on coordination for implementation of Bologna declaration’s provisions in the higher medical education of MHC of Ukraine
Perspective plan for development of the University for 2004-2010 was developed and approved by the Scientific Council – the program document about strategic development of the establishment, prepared for the first time in its history
Establishment of English speaking teaching of foreign students at the University


2005
Establishment of Eastern European network of universities, which includes 35 higher schools from 7 countries, under the aegis of the University in order to intensify the international cooperation, directed to realization of Bologna declaration’s principles.


2006
O.O. Bogomolets National medical university celebrated 165th anniversary since its foundations,
125th birthday of academician O.O. Bogomolets,
125th anniversary since establishment of the O.O. Kysil students’ scientific society,
115th birthday of the graduate from the establishment M.O. Bulgakov.
The construction of the new modern academic laboratorial complex of the University with the library was started.


2007
University ratings according to the Ministry of health care of Ukraine – first place among higher schools of III-IV accreditation levels due to direction of health care;
Golden medal at International exhibition “Modern education in Ukraine” in nomination “Integration of science and education in higher school”;
The only in the state sporting the Course for training of doctors in the sphere of physical culture and sport at O.O. Bogomolets National university and National university of physical education and sport of Ukraine;


2008
1st place in rating from Ministry of health care of Ukraine among higher schools of III-IV accreditation levels due to direction “Health care”;
3rd place in the state rating from Ministry of health care of Ukraine “TOP-200 Ukraine”
Golden Medal at International exhibition “Modern education in Ukraine” in nomination “Innovative studies in higher education”; Honorary title “Leader in modern education”;


2009
Famous lecture by laureate of Nobel Prize, academician Yevgen Chazov, who was awarded with the title of Honorary doctor of medicine at University.
The University was awarded with two Golden medals at International exhibitions “Modern education in Ukraine” and “Education and career”; honorary title “Leader in establishment of modern learning aids”.


2010
The University was awarded with 4 Golden medal at International specialized exhibitions “Education and career”, “Innovative studies in education” for “Development of students’ scientific research work”, “Work guidance among youth”, “Innovative studies in higher education”, “Innovative studies in comprehensive school”, “International cooperation in the sphere of education and science”;
The solemn meeting, devoted to graduation of doctors and pharmacists, took place at the National Palace of arts “Ukraine” with participation of Prime-Minister of Ukraine, Chairman of Supervisory Council of University Mykola Yanovych Azarov.
Professor V.F. Moskalenko, Vice-president of NAMS of Ukraine, academician of NAMS and corresponding member of NAPS of Ukraine, honorary worker of science and technology of Ukraine, honorary doctor of Ukraine, head at department of social medicine and health care, was elected to the post of the rector unanimously for the second time by the conference of representatives for labor collective of the University.
Modern lecture hall No 3, named after V.F. Voyno-Yasenetskyy, which later went on to become the winner at International contests among CIS countries “Prointegration awards 2010”, was opened. The contingent of persons that study at the University has increased to 10 thousand people. The special training program for doctors at the expense of Kiev regional state administration was launched for the first time among higher medical schools of Ukraine.


2011
President of Ukraine, Victor Fedorovich Yanukovich and Metropolitan of Kiev and all Ukraine, Primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church VOLODYMYR congratulated the graduates from the University.

O.O. Bogomolets National medical university celebrated 170th anniversary since foundation, 200th birthday for Professor Volodymyr Opanasovych Karavayev, 130th birthday for academician Oleksander Oleksandrovych Bogomolets, 130th anniversary for establishment of O.A. Kysil students’ scientific society, 120th birthday for Mykhaylo Afanasiyovych Bulgakov, 20th anniversary since establishment of Ukrainian medical lyceum at O.O. Bogomolets NMU;

City special training program of doctors for health care establishments in c. Kiev for 2011-2017 was implemented for the first time among higher schools of Ukraine;

Golden medal at international exhibition of educational establishments “Modern education in Ukraine” in nomination “Spiritual development of youth and physical improvements”;

1st place in rating from Ministry of education and science, youth and sport of Ukraine among higher schools of III-IV accreditation levels in nomination “Health care”;

4th place in state rating among higher schools within UNESCO project “TOP-200 Ukraine”; Perspective complex plan for development of University for 2011-2017 was developed and approved by Scientific Council The memorial plaques in honor of the first dean of medical Course at St. Volodymyr University, Professor V.O. Karavayev, famous graduates V.F. Voyno-Yasenetskyy (St. Luka) and play-writer and writer M.A. Bulgakov were erected at the administrative and morphological buildings of the University;

The graduates from the University received the diploma of international form “Diploma Supplement” for the first time;

The University was acknowledged as the Leader of modern education-2011, awarded with the Grand Prix and golden medal at the international exhibition “Modern educational institutions”;

The University joined to the association of the Great Charter for leading universities in the world (Magna Charta Universitatum), c.Bologna, Italy.

Admissions 2018-19 open

© National Medical University, Kiev. 2019